VideoANT - Annotating On-line Videos
I remain enthusiastic about the potential of VideoANT to support critical reflection by students and invite additional collaborations. Feel free to contact me directly at - firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Promoting Critical Reflection and Media Literacy: Ad Deconstruction
I have been collaborating with other faculty members in the design and implementation of an instructional strategy focused on having students access and annotate videos relevant to the content area of courses being taught by my collaborators. Examples of student work and the results of these studies are avaialble, below.
- Direct to Consumer Advertisements and the Pharmaceutical industry (Dr. Jisu Huh; Journalism and Mass Communications; Fall 2009)
- Gender Stereotypes and Misogyny in Hip Hop Videos (Dr. Zenzele Isoke; Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies; Spring 2010)
- Students selecting or creating and deconstructing media artifacts; located TV "Tropes" (Dr. Jigna Desai; Gender, Women & Sexuality Studies; Fall 2010) Students create, locate and deconstruct visual media.
- Student-generated example - the video has been removed, making the VideoAnt annotation non-functional.
- Summary of the initial study
- Media Deconstruction: The student experience. Here is a link to the student experience; introductions for each project - (/medialiteracy/videoant/)
2) Identifying Procedural Errors: Locating or errors with following procedures/protocols correctly or performing other psychomotor skills. (Claire Kari; Dept. of Environmental Health and Safety. Lab Wars Game. Data from this project has yet to be summarized and additional uses are not planned at this time.)
3) Creating a Table of Contents for Video. (Dr. Rod Carter; College of Pharmacy). Used in the service of a broader research agenda.
- Case-based Reasoning: Capturing and adding table of contents to an example of patient assessment (used ss a tool for argument analysis of captured dialogue - http://islandwolf.com/research/models/phar6112/default.htm)
- How to Administer an Intramuscular Injection for a Mass Immunization Clinic (Dr. Don Uden, et al; College of Pharmacy, School of Nursing) http://ant.umn.edu/vav.php?pid=61133528609055
Coming Soon (potentially)
- Case-studies (Pharmacy, Law, Public Policy, Medicine, etc.). Preliminary conversations underway to incorporate "research deconstruction" activity. Deconstructing video of research seminars: identifying variables, variable types, hypotheses, levels of measurment, etc.
- Argument analysis of debates over controversial topics
- Providing feedback on student-generated videos. (Melissa Palmer, Human Biology, CBS; pilot has occurred)
[ Return to Top ]