The BioWorld Project
- BioWorld Web Site
- Susan Lajoie (Principal Investigator) and the ATLAS (Advanced Technologies for Learning in Authentic Settings) Lab
- Research (articles) of Geneviève Gauthier (primary grad student to Susan Lajoie)
Research and Theory Related to BioWorld (and Computer-Based Learning Environments)
- Cognitive Tools for Facilitating Meaningful Interactions in Complex Domains (ARTICLE; Lajoie)
- Modeling, Assessing, and Supporting Key Competencies Within Game Environments (ARTICLE; Valerie Shute, another "heavy-hitter in this arena)
Research Support: The Design-Based Research Collective
- Design-Based Research: An Emerging Paradigm for
Educational Inquiry (ARTICLE; The Design-Based Research Collective)
- Design-Based Research Methods for Studying Learning in Context: Introduction (ARTICLE; Sandoval, and Bell)
- Methodological Alignment in Design-Based Research (ARTICLE; Christopher M. Hoadley, 2004)
- Journal Special Issue - Educational Psychologist: Special Issue devoted to Design-Based Research (several ARTICLES inclusive of the two directly above this link)
- Representative Publications of the Collective (see appropriate heading, "Representative Member Publications," in resulting page)
Diagramming Knowledge and Decision-Making
This site is to be fleshed in over time, providing a means to communicate within the project team and with folks "external" to the project.
At this time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, or for additional info on the project...
The Spring 2009 Phar 6112 Pilot of an Argument Mapping Strategy
Additional Resources (in need of categorization; soon! Articles require Acrobat Reader):
Breakey, K M; Levin, D; Miller, I.; Hentges, K E (2008). The Use of Scenario-Based-Learning Interactive Software to Create Custom Virtual Laboratory Scenarios for Teaching Genetics . Genetics 179: 1151-1155.
Hunick M. G. Myriam (2001). In Search of Tools to Aid Logical Thinking and Communicating about Medical Decision Making. Medical Decision Making, Vol. 21, No. 4, 267-277 (2001)
Jenicek, Milos (2006). Evidence-based medicine: Fifteen years later. Golem the good, the bad, and the ugly in need of a review? Med Sci Monit, 12(11): RA241-251
van Gelder, T. J. (2005). Enhancing and augmenting human reasoning. In A. Zilhão (Ed.), Cognition, Evolution and Rationality: A Cognitive Science for the Twenty-First Century (pp. 162-181). New York: Routledge.
van Gelder, T. J. (2002). Enhancing Deliberation Through Computer-Supported Argument Visualization. In P. Kirschner & S. Buckingham Shum & C. Carr (Eds.), Visualizing Argumentation: Software Tools for Collaborative and Educational Sense-Making . London: Springer-Verlag, (pp. 97-115).
van Gelder, T. J. - Dr. Tim van Gelder is a primary researcher in the arena of argument mapping. This is a list of his articles, maintained by Dr. van Gelder. http://sites.google.com/site/timvangelder/
The Teachable Agents Group at Vanderbilt University - http://www.teachableagents.org
Blair, K., Schwartz, D., Biswas, G. & Leelawong, K. (2006). Pedagogical Agents for Learning by Teaching: Teachable Agents , Educational Technology & Society , Special Issue on Pedagogical Agents.
Jeong, H., Gupta, A., Roscoe, R., Wagster, J., Biswas, G., & Schwartz, D. (2008). Using Hidden Markov Models to Characterize Student Behavior Patterns in Computer-based Learning-by-Teaching Environments , Intelligent Tutoring Systems: 9th International Conference , Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 5091, B. Woolf, et al. (eds.), Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 614-625, 2008., Montreal, Canada.
The databaseof articles housed at The Teachable Agents Group web site - http://www.teachableagents.org/publications